How Do You Know If to See a Doctor for Mold Exposure?

How Do You Know If to See a Doctor for Mold Exposure?

While most people don’t realize how harmful mold exposure can be, it can sometimes be lethal, especially when exposed for a long period. Being microscopic organisms, molds can grow anywhere in your home and go unnoticed for months or years. Molds are a natural constituent of the environment, therefore, difficult to get rid of. They release spores that help them spread across surfaces and, in most cases, inhale the spores when exposed to mold. Generally, inhaling bits of it is not harmful, but prolonged exposure can cause respiratory issues

If you are particularly worried about mold’s health impacts, you may be wondering about the duration it takes to become ill from mold exposure and when to seek medical attention. There is no definite answer because the timeframe for effects to manifest is affected by various factors, such as your surroundings and general wellbeing.

Sensitivity and Allergic Reactions

You might find people with different reactions to different allergens in a household. As such, your reaction to mold exposure may not be the same as your child’s, husband, or siblings. Some people react immediately, while others don’t even show any symptoms within the first days after exposure.

If you notice eye or skin redness that doesn’t end, you probably have mold in your home, and your body reacts to it. These symptoms may not be as severe and might go away on their own without medical assistance.

Exposure Duration

While some people may not show any symptoms of mold exposure, it is not good to be exposed for too long. If you suspect you have been exposed for too long, schedule a check with a physician to ensure you are in perfect condition. Prolonged exposure can lead to chronic respiratory issues, hence shouldn’t be taken lightly. This applies to even those without sensitivity or allergic reactions.

Nearness to the Mold

Having close contact with the mold might increase the risk of reaction. If you have touched the mold, whether black or another type, ensure to clean up thoroughly. This helps you get rid of the mold on your skin and might even reduce irritation caused by the microorganisms. If symptoms persist, contact your doctor. Some of the symptoms you may experience include;

  • Nasal congestion
  • Itchy skin
  • Eye redness
  • Watery eyes
  • Blurry vision
  • Sore throat
  • Sneezing
  • Wheezing
  • Asthma attacks

If these symptoms persist after exposure or you experience worse symptoms like nose bleeds and difficulty breathing, it means your time to see a doctor has come. While sometimes the symptoms might not be purely caused by mold exposure, it is best to get a clarification on the matter.

Some groups of people are more vulnerable than others, hence should not be exposed to the mold for too long. These include babies, expectant mothers, older people, allergic people, people with weak immune systems, and those with chronic respiratory issues. The mold symptoms might escalate quickly for them and be more severe than with less-vulnerable people.

Mold Removal Now is a nationally recognized mold remediation company helping property owners by safely removing mold from homes and businesses